Thursday, September 23, 2010

Blog 2


As with every new experience I have, for the most part, I always get nervous as the event approaches. My service project is no different. This Monday I had my orientation meeting for my project which is “We the People,” at St. Monica. From what I learned about We the People, it is a project teaching students, in my case 5th graders, about the constitution. I decided on this project for the obvious reason that I wish to become a social studies teacher in my future. This project offers me the opportunity to get some real life experience, something I’m sure I will need plenty of.
                The We the People program is a government funded program that teaches students about the constitution. Since most schools use the program there is a need for a lot of volunteers, like me.  St. Monica School is located in Garfield Heights, Ohio. From what I have been told it is one of the nicer and wealthier schools that we provide service to. I’m looking forward to the project for many reasons. The first is that I have yet to do service at a catholic school before. At this point I’m somewhat curious if there will be any change in the demeanor of the children due to that. Also I have never done a considerable amount of service at a wealthy school either. Even thought I attended Perry as a student, I have never gotten to look at a class from the other end of the perspective. Even though I did my field observations at Perry I never actually had the opportunity to teach a lesson. At St. Monica’s all have all the opportunities I could hope for.
                  

No comments:

Post a Comment